Lakota Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Dakota:
Derived from the Siouan word dakóta (allies, to be thought of as friends). The name is borrowed from the name given to the tribes of northern Plains Indians, also known as Sioux and Lakota.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lakota? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Lakota
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lakota
- Comments and insights on the name Lakota
- Personal experiences with the name Lakota
- Nicknames for Lakota
My sisters name is Lakota and everyone always calls her Kota
- Meanings and history of the name Lakota
A Native American tribe (also known as Sioux) and the language they speak. Lakota means "the allies."
- Famous real-life people named Lakota
- Lakota in song, story & screen