Lavergne Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Laverne:
Derived from the Latin vernus (belonging to spring). The name was typically given to one born during springtime. Var: La Vergne, Laverna, La Vernia.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Lavergne
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lavergne
- Comments and insights on the name Lavergne
- Personal experiences with the name Lavergne
This was the chosen name of my grandmother when she changed her name from a VERY Polish name. This was before "Laverne and Shirley" became a popular TV show. This name was passed on to my Aunt who did grow up when during the height of the TV shows popularity. My aunt has always hated her name, but I am not sure if that is because of the name or because of her relationship with my grandmother.
- Nicknames for Lavergne
- Meanings and history of the name Lavergne
From a surname which was derived from a French place name, ultimately derived from the Gaulish word vern meaning "alder". It is sometimes associated with the Roman goddess Laverna or the Latin word vernus "of spring". Laverna's meaning is unknown, but she was the Roman goddess of thieves and thievery.
- Famous real-life people named Lavergne
*Laverne De Fazio from the TV Show.
* Laverne Andrews was one of the three members of the popular women's group the Andrews Sisters, best known for their war-time hits of 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy', 'Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree' and 'Rum and Coca Cola'.
* Laverne Christopher is an award winning artist that has made her home in Cape Cod and has made an artistic career of depicting it in oils, pastels, watercolors and acrylics.
* Lavern Baker, 1991 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, and famous for such songs as 'Tweedlee Dee' and 'Jim Dandy' was born Delores Williams. She performed as 'Little Miss Sharecropper' and Bea Baker and several other pseudonyms before she finally landed on LaVern Baker.
- Lavergne in song, story & screen
Laverne & Shirley