Leora Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Leora:
Hebrew name meaning "the light is mine."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Leora? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Leora
Contribute your knowledge to the name Leora
- Comments and insights on the name Leora
- Personal experiences with the name Leora
- Nicknames for Leora
Lee, Le Le, Leah, Leah Girl, Lori, Leora-le, Yora, Yoralah.
- Meanings and history of the name Leora
I've seen in books and online the origin Of Leora is, Hebrew, Italian and Greek. So I really don't know where it originated from.
Has Hebrew roots from the male name Lior. It means "my light".
Hi, another Leora here! It's originally Hebrew.
Lee = me/mine
Orr = light
Ah = a name of God (alternately, if you don't like having God in your name, 'ah' can just be a feminine ending).
So, its direct Hebrew meaning is 'God is my Light'. If you want a secular definition, Leora can also be translated as 'a light unto me' or 'my light'.
- Famous real-life people named Leora
Leora Dana, American film and stage actress.
- Leora in song, story & screen
- Leora is the main character in the novel "In the Image" by Dara Horn.
- Princess Leora is the main character in the children's book "The Balloon Tree" by Phoebe Gilman.