Loreley Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Lorelei:
Derived from Lurlei, the name of the rock "ambush cliff," which is derived from the Middle High German luren (to watch) and lei (a cliff, a rock). The name was altered to Lorelei by Clemens Brentano, a German poet. In Germanic legend, Lorelei was a beautiful siren who sat upon a rock in the Rhine River and lured sailors to shipwreck and death.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Loreley? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Loreley
Contribute your knowledge to the name Loreley
- Comments and insights on the name Loreley
- Personal experiences with the name Loreley
- Nicknames for Loreley
Lori, Lora, Lorel, Rorie, Rory, Lee-lee, Lola, Lila
- Meanings and history of the name Loreley
- Famous real-life people named Loreley
- Loreley in song, story & screen
Loreley is a song from Blackmore's Night.