Lorelie Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Lorelei:
Derived from Lurlei, the name of the rock "ambush cliff," which is derived from the Middle High German luren (to watch) and lei (a cliff, a rock). The name was altered to Lorelei by Clemens Brentano, a German poet. In Germanic legend, Lorelei was a beautiful siren who sat upon a rock in the Rhine River and lured sailors to shipwreck and death.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lorelie? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Lorelie
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lorelie
- Comments and insights on the name Lorelie
- Personal experiences with the name Lorelie
I like this name better than Lorelei
- Nicknames for Lorelie
- Meanings and history of the name Lorelie
Alluring enchantress; seductress
- Famous real-life people named Lorelie
- Lorelie in song, story & screen