Lucia Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Lucia:
Feminine form of Lucius, which is derived from the Latin lux (light). The name was borne by St. Lucia of Syracuse, a 4th-century martyr whose popularity during the Middle Ages led to widespread use of the name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lucia? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Lucia
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland 2014
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
- Catalonian Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in Catalonia 2014
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain (Basque County)
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Catalonian Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in Catalonia
- Argentinian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Argentina (Buenos Aires)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lucia
- Comments and insights on the name Lucia
- Personal experiences with the name Lucia
- Nicknames for Lucia
Lucy, Lulu, Luce, Lux, Luli (Lou-lee), Lu (Lou), Lucilu (Lou-See-Lou), Luti (Lou-tee), Luchi (Louchee), Luchichi (Lou-chee-chee), Luchita (Lou-Chee-Ta), Luci, Lucilis (Lou-See-Lis), Lula (Lou-la), Cia
- Meanings and history of the name Lucia
Latin from Lux meaning "light" or "the light one" as in "the bringer of light". It also comes from a Sicilian saint whom as a child promised her life and chastity to god and didn't even tell her mother. So when she was to get married to a man that her mother found for her whom was a non-christian she refused and told her mother to go and give away the wedding money to the poor and the man got angry. He told the town that she was a christian and so they put her in jail and tortured her.
They decided to punish her with putting her in a brothel but the ox-carage that was going take her there didn't move so they got angry and pored hot oil on her but it didn't burn her at all. Then they stuck out her eyes out, and so she is special saint for the blind, and then they stuck a sword in her throat but she just kept on praying until a priest gave her the last rights and then she died as a martyr.
Its said that she wanted to go around in the jail and give out food to the others there and wanted to bring so much with her in her hands so she could not hold a candle to see and so she put them in her hair like a crown and thats why some people today celebrate her in this way for example in Scandinavia but in Italy they celebrate her in a totaly different way. There is some kind of Scandinavian medieval ritual that has been mixed with the christian Lucia with a figure that brings light in the mist of the dark winter but there is no good backround on this. Today in ex Sweden we have Lucia "trains" of people, everyone is dressed in "white gowns" and the front girl wears a crown of candles on her head and a red ribbon around her waist and everyone sings Lucia and Christmas songs both religous and regular christmas songs for people, like in a concert. The girls that goes behind her wear tinsle glitter in thier hear and holds a candle in thier hand, boys wear a pappercone with stars on it and at the end of the "train" sometimes we have old fashion Scandinavian santas (regular boys or girls with red/grey cloths and hats and maybe with fake beard- not big fat santa like ala cocacola adverts).
- Famous real-life people named Lucia
Lucia Mendez, actress and singer
Lucia Sofia (b. 2006), daughter of American actress Sasha Alexander and Edoardo Ponti
Lucia Rose Mariano (b. 2009), daughter of American television personalities Amber and Rob Mariano
Lucia Gibson (b. 2009), daughter of American-Australian actor and filmmaker Mel Gibson and Russian singer-songwriter and pianist Oksana Grigorieva
Lucia Backus (b. 2012), daughter of American actress Mira Sorvino
- Lucia in song, story & screen
"Lucia, Lucia" a novel by Adriana Trigiani
Title character in the movie "Sex and Lucia"
"Lucia de Lamermoor", opera
Mapp and Lucia books by E.F. Benson
Main Character from YouTube sitcom "Mariano Madness"