Mariam Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Mariam:
Shortened form of Mariamne, an early form of Mary first recorded by the the 1st-century Jewish historian Flavius Josephus as the name of the wife of King Herod.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mariam? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mariam
- Armenian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Armenia 2014
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France 2014
- Armenian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Armenia, 2010
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Georgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Georgia
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- Armenian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Armenia
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mariam
- Comments and insights on the name Mariam
Maryam is a name for Mary (Jesus' mother) in Islam. Maryam is the Aramaic and Arabic translation of Mary, and a variant thereof is Mariam.
Mariam is a familiar name in many Muslim countries, including Mali, Iran, Pakistan ,Bahrain , Kuwait , Lebanon , and Egypt
- Personal experiences with the name Mariam
My name is mariam and i am so proud of myself
I think it’s a good name and everyone likes it
And every mariam is a beautiful and strong girl
- Nicknames for Mariam
- Meanings and history of the name Mariam
- Famous real-life people named Mariam
Mariam of Vaspurakan, first wife of King George I of Georgia and regent for her son, Bagrat IV, in the 11th century
Mariam adel haji (11 feb 2005 ) | Bahraini Artist
Mariam-uz-Zamani (1542–1622), wife of Mughal Emperor Akbar
Mariam Tsitsishvili (1768–1850), wife of George XII of Georgia
Mariam Baouardy (1846-1878), Melkite Greek Catholic Carmelite nun canonized by Pope Francis
Mariam Vardanian (1864-1941), Armenian political activist and revolutionary in the Russian Empire
Mariam Aslamazian (1907-2006), Armenian painter
Mariam Fakhr Eddine (born 1933), Egyptian actress
Mariam Nour (born 1936), Lebanese television personality
Mengistu Haile Mariam (born 1937), head of state of Ethiopia from 1977 to 1991
Mariam Hakobyan (born 1949), Armenian sculptor
Mariam Aladji Boni Diallo (born 1952?), politician and former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Benin
Mariam Doumbia (born 1958), half of Amadou & Mariam, a musical duo from Mali
Mariam Omar, Zanzibari politician, member of the SAU party & first woman to contest the Zanzibar presidency (in 2005)
Mariam Wafa (born 1973), Afghan singer
Mariam Nazarian (born 1983), Armenian concert pianist and producer
Mariam Hasan (born 1985), Pakistani cricketer
Mariam Usman (born 1990), Nigerian weightlifter
Mariam Omar (born 1993), Egyptian synchronised swimmer and 2012 Olympian
- Mariam in song, story & screen
Mariam - protagonist in 'The Tragedy of Mariam, the Fair Queen of Jewry' (1613), a Jacobean era drama written by Elizabeth Cary, Viscountess Falklan. It was the first literary work by a woman that was published under her own name.