Marie-Josée Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Mary:
Anglicized form of Maria, which is derived from the Hebrew Miryām (sea of bitterness, sea of sorrow). There is much debate over the meaning of the name, however. While "sea of bitterness or sorrow" seems to be the most probable, some sources give the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea." The name, borne in the Bible by the virgin mother of Jesus, has become one of the most enduringly popular names in the Christian world.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marie-Josée? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Marie-Josée
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marie-Josée
- Comments and insights on the name Marie-Josée
- Personal experiences with the name Marie-Josée
- Nicknames for Marie-Josée
- Meanings and history of the name Marie-Josée
Marie-Josée is used in French to honor Mary and Joseph, the parents of Jesus.
- Famous real-life people named Marie-Josée
- Marie-Josée in song, story & screen