Mariella Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Maria:
Latin form of Mary, which is derived from the Hebrew Miryām, a name of debated meaning. Many believe it to mean "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow." However, some sources cite the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea." The name is borne in the Bible by the mother of Jesus, the son of God.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mariella? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mariella
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mariella
- Comments and insights on the name Mariella
- Personal experiences with the name Mariella
- Nicknames for Mariella
Mari (pronounced Mar-ee)
- Meanings and history of the name Mariella
- Famous real-life people named Mariella
Mariella Frostrup - UK TV personality
Mariella Burani - Fashion Designer
- Mariella in song, story & screen
Kate Nash song - "Mariella"