Marieta Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Marietta:
Italian diminutive form of Maria, which is derived from the Hebrew Miryām, a name of debated meaning. Many believe it to mean "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow." However, some sources cite the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea."
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marieta? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Marieta
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marieta
- Comments and insights on the name Marieta
- Personal experiences with the name Marieta
- Nicknames for Marieta
- Meanings and history of the name Marieta
Greek diminutive of Maria.
- Famous real-life people named Marieta
- Marieta in song, story & screen