Mavra Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Maura:
Of Celtic origin perhaps derived from mohr (great). Alternatively, Maura is a feminine form of the Latin Maurus (dark-skinned), which is from the Greek mauritius (of Moorish lineage, dark-skinned).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mavra? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mavra
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mavra
- Comments and insights on the name Mavra
- Personal experiences with the name Mavra
- Nicknames for Mavra
- Meanings and history of the name Mavra
- Famous real-life people named Mavra
Used in Greek and Russian, Mavra means "black" or "dark."
- Mavra in song, story & screen