Mehitabel Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mehitabel? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mehitabel
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mehitabel
- Comments and insights on the name Mehitabel
- Personal experiences with the name Mehitabel
I gave my daughter Mehitabel as a middle name, in tribute to a grandmother who adored the Marquis poems and also to the very idea that once upon a time there was such a thing as popular syndicated poetry. I have found that most people do not know the name and struggle to pronounce it. The few who know it from the poems (maybe 10%?) respond with delight. For the record, my grandmother's pronunciation (which I assume was the consensus pronunciation when the poems were popular) is Muh-HIT-a-bull. Syllables pronounced and emphasized like "dirigible."
- Nicknames for Mehitabel
Bella, Mel, Hettie, Tabby
- Meanings and history of the name Mehitabel
Means 'God makes happy' in Hebrew.
Pronounced: mi-HIT-eh-bel or mee-HIT-eh-bel
- Famous real-life people named Mehitabel
- Mehitabel in song, story & screen
- There is one clearly dominant Mehitabel of fiction: Mehitabel the alley cat in Don Marquis's Archie and Mehitabel poems. http://www.donmarquis.com/archy/ These humorous and cynical but warm poems were very popular in newspaper syndication in the 1920s and 30s.
- In a Rudyard Kipling poem, Lovely Mehitabel Lee is married to the narrator's resented rival: http://books.google.com/books?id=3KYg_7bSptcC&pg=PA177&lpg=PA177&dq=lovely+mehitabel+lee
- The 1929 children's novel "Hitty: Her First Hundred Years" is about a wooden doll named Mehitabel, or Hitty, originating in colonial America
- The female main character of the webcomic "Ozy & Millie"'s full name is Millicent Mehitabel Mudd.