Meritt Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Meredith:
Of debated meaning, some believe it to be derived from the Welsh elements mór (sea) and differaf (I protect): hence, "sea protector" or "protector of the sea." Others believe it is from the Welsh Maredudd, an obsolete name of which the second element is idudd (lord). Meredith originated as a surname, then was bestowed as a personal name upon male children. it is now more commonly used as a female name.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Meritt? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Meritt
Contribute your knowledge to the name Meritt
- Comments and insights on the name Meritt
- Personal experiences with the name Meritt
- Nicknames for Meritt
- Meanings and history of the name Meritt
- Famous real-life people named Meritt
- Meritt in song, story & screen