Nena Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Nena? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Nena
Contribute your knowledge to the name Nena
- Comments and insights on the name Nena
- Personal experiences with the name Nena
- Nicknames for Nena
Neen, Neener, Neenee
In Mexico, Nena is used as a nickname for Elena and Magdalena, as well as for girls who have the same name as their mother.
- Meanings and history of the name Nena
Nena comes from the Hebrew Magdalena. The meaning is "of Magdela". In Aztec mythology it is the name of one of the first two humans: Nata and Nena. It also means girl in Spanish (not to be confused with Nina which means baby) and is an endearing name for a daughter. Nena was also an ancient supercontinent, and NENA is the acronym for National Emergency Number Association and Northeastern Neo-Aramaic.
- Famous real-life people named Nena
Nena, real name Gabriele Susanne Kerner. German pop singer who sang "99 Luftballons" in German during the 1980's. It was a hit in the U.S. and elsewhere, but in the U.S. she is known as a one-hit wonder. Her band for "99 Luftballons" was also named Nena. She got the nickname while vacationing with her family in Spain as a child.
There is a glacier in Chili named Glacier Nena. Others from Wikipedia:
* Nena (Olavo Rodrigues Barbosa), former Brazilian footballer
* Nena, singer; formerly also the name of the pop group that she founded
* Nena, one of the first two humans, Nata and Nena, in Aztec mythology
* Nena Cardenas, Filipina actress
* Nena Daconte, Spanish pop group
* Nena Danevic, film editor that was nominated for their work on Amadeus (film)
* Nena Peragallo, professor of nursing
* Nena Ristic, Serbian glamour model that worked with Charlotte Krona
* Nena Toth, film director
* Nena von Schlebrügge, psychotherapist and former fashion model
* Nena Trinity, a fictional character in Mobile Suit Gundam 00
* Extra Nena aka Snežana Berić, a Serbian singer that is known for Ljubim te pesmama
- Nena in song, story & screen