Palma Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Palma? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Palma
Contribute your knowledge to the name Palma
- Comments and insights on the name Palma
The most problems that one encounters with this name is it being mistaken as "Pamela" on paper. Throughout my life, I have had to correct teachers for not paying attention to it's spelling. I have had to correct many people misspelling it on documents. This can be a problem if school records are incorrect, especially with applying for a passport. If school make this mistake, please be sure to correct them immediately! When I applied for my passport at the age of 34, every school I had attended had misspelled it! I needed school records to prove my name because my birth certificate had the incorrect name as well. After calling to schools in three different states, I found one who had it correct...my preschool! What a hassle!
- Personal experiences with the name Palma
I get mixed responses for having the name. Some people say, "oh, that is different". That is the nice way of saying they don't like it. Others actually say they like it. It is either one or the other. I personally like it and am proud of the name that my mother has given to me. Being uncommon in the USA, makes me feel unique. Does the name make the person or does the person make the name? I have often been noted as having the following traits; strong, impetuous, driven,self-motivated, honest, kind, as well as a quote from my son; "the least discriminating person he knows". When given such a strong name in meaning, I have not been able to live my life any other way but to stand up to the name I have been given. Therefore, I feel both circumstances and the name made me. I personally like who I have become and the name attached to my life. So, choose your child's name wisely.
- Nicknames for Palma
- Meanings and history of the name Palma
"The victor's palm," we say; we "yield the palm" to one who excels; and from very ancient days a palm-leaf has been an emblem of victory. The Greek goddess of victory was represented with a palm-leaf in her hand. It is a relic of the ancient perception that the palm-tree corresponds to a knowledge of the truest kind of victory; a knowledge of the power of the God's commandments to conquer in spiritual conflict.
Definitions of Palma on the Web:
* Palma (Catalan and Spanish: Palma official, Palma de Mallorca unofficial) is the major city and port on the island of Majorca and capital city of ...
* Palmas (lit. Palm trees) is the capital of the Brazilian state of Tocantins. According to IBGE estimates from 2008, the city had 184,010 ...
* In Flamenco, Palmas is not a simple case of clapping along but an essential form of percussion to help punctuate and accentuate the song and dance ...
* Latin palma = palm; adjective, palmar - Latin palmaris.
* Holtkamp variety (Europe). Small, standard African Violet (4-inch pot size) with single, blue flowers and medium green, girl-type leaves. ...
* A. CORNE'LIUS, was consul in ad 99, and a second time in 109. Between his first and second consulships, he was governor of Syria, and ...
* palm; the basal tarsal joint of the anterior feet, sometimes furnished with strigilis. See manus.
* palmas - the percussive hand clapping in various flamenco styles such as the Buleria.
* palmas - rhythmic hand clapping which is used to accompany flamenco song and dance.
- Famous real-life people named Palma
- Palma in song, story & screen