Portia Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Portia:
From the Latin Porcia, a feminine form of Porcius, an old Roman family name probably derived from porcus (a pig, a hog). The name Portia was borne by the heroine in Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Portia? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Portia
Contribute your knowledge to the name Portia
- Comments and insights on the name Portia
- Personal experiences with the name Portia
- Nicknames for Portia
- Meanings and history of the name Portia
- Famous real-life people named Portia
Portia de Rossi, actress and wife of Ellen DeGeneres.
Portia Doubleday, actress
- Portia in song, story & screen
Not only was Portia a Shakespearean character, she was the first female lawyer to be noted in literature
Nelly- hey there Portia!.