Rut Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ruth:
Of uncertain etymology, most believe Ruth to be derived from the Hebrew rūth, a possible contraction of rē'ūth (companion, friend). The name is borne in the Bible by a Moabite woman who was devoted to her mother-in-law. Her story is told in the Book of Ruth.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Rut? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Rut
Contribute your knowledge to the name Rut
- Comments and insights on the name Rut
Rut and Tru are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Rut
- Nicknames for Rut
- Meanings and history of the name Rut
form of Ruth used in German, Italian, Spanish, and Swedish
- Famous real-life people named Rut
- Rut in song, story & screen