Ruta Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ruth:
Of uncertain etymology, most believe Ruth to be derived from the Hebrew rūth, a possible contraction of rē'ūth (companion, friend). The name is borne in the Bible by a Moabite woman who was devoted to her mother-in-law. Her story is told in the Book of Ruth.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Ruta? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ruta
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ruta
- Comments and insights on the name Ruta
Polish form of Ruth
- Personal experiences with the name Ruta
- Nicknames for Ruta
- Meanings and history of the name Ruta
- Famous real-life people named Ruta
Ruta Sepetys, Lithuanian-American author
- Ruta in song, story & screen