Rute Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ruth:
Of uncertain etymology, most believe Ruth to be derived from the Hebrew rūth, a possible contraction of rē'ūth (companion, friend). The name is borne in the Bible by a Moabite woman who was devoted to her mother-in-law. Her story is told in the Book of Ruth.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Rute
Contribute your knowledge to the name Rute
- Comments and insights on the name Rute
Portuguese form of Ruth
- Personal experiences with the name Rute
- Nicknames for Rute
- Meanings and history of the name Rute
- Famous real-life people named Rute
- Rute in song, story & screen