Samaria Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Samaria? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Samaria
Contribute your knowledge to the name Samaria
- Comments and insights on the name Samaria
- Personal experiences with the name Samaria
- It's always pronounced one of two different ways - "suh-MARY-uh" or "suh-MAH-ria". The former is the traditional pronunciation; the latter is more modern. I have the second pronunciation, and it used to seriously bother me when somebody pronounced my name the wrong way... or worse, like the name Samara, cutting out a syllable entirely. I love, however, how much history my name has, and even more the fact that there are very few Samaria's around. I've never met another one, and probably never will, so I feel like I totally own my name. I feel so sorry for the new babies around, whose names all rhyme with Aidan, because exactly how unique can their names be? (Written on October 24, 2008 by a 1993 baby)
- Nicknames for Samaria
Sam, Sami, Mar, Maria, Mari, S, Ria
- Meanings and history of the name Samaria
The name Samaria is Hebrew in origin. Samaria was the capital of the ancient Kingdom of Israel. Shomron, the Hebrew translation of Samaria, literally means "watch mountain" or "watch tower". Samaria is located in the historic northern mountainous region of the West Bank, located along the Jordan River. Samaria is not to be confused with Samara, which is a totally different name.
- Famous real-life people named Samaria
- Samaria in song, story & screen