Sonya Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Sonya:
Russian pet form of Sofya, a cognate of the Greek Sophia (wisdom, skill).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sonya? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Sonya
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sonya
- Comments and insights on the name Sonya
- Personal experiences with the name Sonya
- Nicknames for Sonya
Son, Sonny (both pronounced with an "o" sound as in "hot").
- Meanings and history of the name Sonya
- Famous real-life people named Sonya
- Sonya in song, story & screen