Sybill Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Sybil:
Derived from the Latin Sibylla (a fortuneteller, a prophetess). The sibyls, women of ancient Greece and Rome, where mouthpieces of the ancient oracles and seers into the future. In the Middle Ages, they were believed to be receptors of divine revelation; thus Sibyl came into use as an acceptable given name. Var: Sibella.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sybill? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Sybill
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sybill
- Comments and insights on the name Sybill
- Personal experiences with the name Sybill
- Nicknames for Sybill
- Meanings and history of the name Sybill
- Famous real-life people named Sybill
- Sybill in song, story & screen
Sybill Trelawney is the professor of Divination at Hogwarts in the Harry Potter series.