Tamar Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Tamara:
Tamara is a Russian cognate of the Hebrew Tamar (date palm, a palm tree). Tamar is borne in the Bible by the daughter-in-law of Judah and mother of his twin sons, and by King David's daughter who was raped by Amnon her half brother.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Tamar? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Tamar
Contribute your knowledge to the name Tamar
- Comments and insights on the name Tamar
- Personal experiences with the name Tamar
- Nicknames for Tamar
- Meanings and history of the name Tamar
A Hebrew name meaning "palm tree"
There's two Tamars in the Bible - one was the daughter-in-law of Judah.
The other Tamar was the daughter of King David.
- Famous real-life people named Tamar
- Tamar in song, story & screen