Vanessa Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Vanessa:
An invention of satirist Jonathan Swift (1667 - 1745), Vanessa is a partial anagram of the name of his intimate friend Esther Vanhomrigh. Swift used the name in his Cadenus and Vanessa, which led to its use as a female given name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Vanessa? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Vanessa
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland 2014
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria 2012
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Vanessa
- Comments and insights on the name Vanessa
- Personal experiences with the name Vanessa
- Nicknames for Vanessa
- Meanings and history of the name Vanessa
The name Vanessa was invented by Irish writer Jonathan Swift for Esther Vanhomrigh. The name was created by taking "Van" from Vanhomrigh's last name and adding "Essa", the pet form of Esther.
- Famous real-life people named Vanessa
Vanessa Redgrave, English actress
Vanessa L. Williams, American singer and actress
Vanessa Downing, actress
Vanessa Carlton, singer
Vanessa Hudgens, American actress/singer
Vanessa Bell, Bloomsbury artist
Vanessa Bell Armstrong, American singer
Vanessa Bell Calloway, American actress
Vanessa Paradis, French singer and actress
Vanessa-Mae (born Vanessa-Mae Vanakorn Nicholson), British-Chinese violinist
Vanessa Millano, TV correspondent
Vanessa Beecroft, Italian contemporary artist
Vanessa Amorosi, Australian singer/songwriter
Vanessa Vadim, daughter of Jane Fonda
Vanessa Zahorian, American ballerina, principle dancer for the San Francisco ballet
- Vanessa in song, story & screen
Vanessa Baxter, Character In “Last Man Standing” television show, portrayed by Nancy Travis
Vanessa Huxtable, middle child on 1980s television show "The Cosby Show"
Vanessa Kensington, love interest of Austin Powers in the film "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery", played by Elizabeth Hurley
Vanessa Abrams, character in the "Gossip Girl" books and TV series, played by Jessica Szohr
Vanessa Geraldine Carlysle, aka Copycat, character in Marvel
Vanessa named doll, Groovy Girls
Vanessa is the alter-ego of the villain, Ursula, in the Little Mermaid.