Yelena Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Helen:
Cognate of the Greek Helenē, which is derived from the root ēlē (light, torch, bright). The name is borne in Greek legend by the beautiful wife of the king of Sparta. Her abduction by the Trojan prince Paris sparked off the Trojan War.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Yelena? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Yelena
Contribute your knowledge to the name Yelena
- Comments and insights on the name Yelena
- Personal experiences with the name Yelena
- Nicknames for Yelena
Yeli Ena NaNa Lena
- Meanings and history of the name Yelena
Variant of Helen, meaning "light" in Greek
- Famous real-life people named Yelena
- Yelena in song, story & screen
Yelena Prekrasnaya (the Beautiful), popular Russian folk-tale character
Yelena Zaltana, protagonist of Maria V. Snyder's Study trilogy