2013 SSA data chitchat thread

So, what are you finding interesting? I'm continuing to poke through the data and blogs about the data and would love to have a thread for sharing impressions and odd things I've found.

Replies

May 10, 2014 4:08 PM

Comment the first: I had just on Thursday had a conversation with my brother in which he said, "Why on earth are people using Khaleesi and not something nice and sensible like Sansa?" and I looked up for him that there was no useage of Sansa and he was disappointed. His disappointment was short-lived, since there are now 11 Sansas in the SSA data.

Freya shot up quite a lot, in accordance with our discussion on another thread, too! I'm very pleased about that, and it confirms my feeling that my mother has an innate sense for name trends, as she was just telling me that if she could name me over again, she'd have named me Freya.

What on earth is up with Atlas being such a fast riser? I'd have thought that Anne Heche would have made her mark previously.

Also, Hypatia showed up for the first time, with 11 girls named that... I'm wondering what the pop culture impetus is for those old classics (which I love) being used more suddenly. Also, Thisbe! And Prometheus!

The thing that really strikes me is that many of the names we had on the list for our first child (Eleanor, Josephine, Penelope, Alice, Henry) have all undergone pretty major rises. For all that I'm a fusty exotic namer, I am absolutely a part of the same trends as everyone else.

May 10, 2014 4:39 PM

Some wild guesses re the classical names:

Does Hypatia stem from moms looking for strong women to name their daughters after?  Will we be seeing Zenobia and Boudicca?  Hatshepsut maybe not, since Cleopatra has to date not been a huge hit.  Lilith, Delilah, and Jezebel with all their nagative baggage are seeing use, I would imagine in large part because of their fashionable sounds.

Thisbe, looking for a fresher Phoebe?  Atticus, Atlas--and Prometheus?

May 10, 2014 5:29 PM

Zenobia has been in consistent use for a long time! There was a mini-spike in 2012 with 51 born, last year back down to 37. More common than I would have expected, just like Persephone.