2015 most popular name rankings.... QUESTION

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone knows when the official rankings for most popular baby names of 2015 will be released on the Social Security website..? I'm due at the end of January 2016 and am curious to see how a few of the names we have on our list rank in 2015. I would also like to see which names have newly entered the top 100 for 2015.

If the SSN website doesn't list the rankings for a few months after the new year begins, is there a way to find out sooner?  If you know of any websites that offer this similar data or insight, please list them. 

Thanks!

Replies

December 29, 2015 11:33 PM

The Social Security list comes out around Mother's Day.  A number of the naming websites come out with their own lists, but those lists are based on comments/inquiries, etc., made by their own posters.  They do not accurately reflect what babies are actually being named.  But they might be of interest to you anyway with the caveat that they only represent the interests of those who frequent those particular sites--they don't even represent what the children of those site posters are finally named.

December 29, 2015 11:39 PM

Thank you! when do those lists typicqlly get released? If you have any specific links, feel free to send them my way. I did already see the Baby Center article/link and it was a somewhat helpful/interesting read. Any others that you recommend..?

December 30, 2015 2:00 AM

Besides Miriam's suggestions, I think you can also work with the 2014 rankings--use the top 200 instead, and give room for new entrants to the top 100 from 101-150, and to a lesser extent, 151-200. You won't be able to account for everything (e.g., see which names skyrocketed 300 places to the top 100 in 2015, if there are any, or whether some names entered the top 100 from obscurity because of 2015-specific events), but chances are you'll more or less see the same names in different places in the rankings.

January 1, 2016 6:50 PM

you can also look at trendlines from the last decade, which should give you an idea of the kinds of patterns you'll see in 2015's names. 

January 2, 2016 12:02 AM

How would I go about looking at the trendlines from the last decade? 

January 4, 2016 2:52 AM

Use the Name Voyager on this site to look up names you're curious about. It'll give you a good idea of whether a name is spiking sharply upward, gently drifting down, chugging along in relative obscurity, etc.

January 4, 2016 10:31 PM

Oh, man, I forgot the Voyager. Thanks, Laura V!  For what it's worth, OP, it really is a useful tool to get an idea of where names are generally going to be in the near future.