I was doing my reading for class today, and it has a list of native plants for my home state in it. I decided to look for names that could be used for kids, but are either rare or (as far as I know) not used at all.
Some of these are common names, some come from the scientific name.
- Kalmia (genus name for mountain laurel)
- Phlox (how has this one not become trendy, I ask you)
- Merrybells (ok, this one struck me funny, I gotta admit -- if I met a young Merrybells I would be hard-pressed to keep a straight face)
- Aster (again, how has this not become trendy? Someone use Aster, please.)
- Camassia (genus name for wild hyacinth)
- Gaura (kind of feels like a scifi update of Laura or Maura)
- Lobelia (let's all admit that Lobela Sackville-Baggins has ruined this one for us)
What other rare/unused botanical names can you think of?
Tue, 10/21/2014 - 10:34am